Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Step Three: Declutter Your Stuff

Welcome back!

Are you ready for Step Three?

You've moved out the stuff that doesn't belong in your garage, and you've sorted the stuff that's left over into groups. Now let's take a hard look at what's in those piles so that we can move it out permanently! 


What's Worth Keeping

A perfectly useful object becomes clutter when it no longer serves a purpose in your life, whether that's a practical purpose or an aesthetic one. For some people, a little clutter is fine--even comfortable. For others (like me, for example), having things around that I don't need or want can be stressful. I'm a lot happier when I can keep clutter to a minimum. 

Today, ask yourself these questions:
  • Do I use this object enough to justify owning it?
  • Do I use this object for a special purpose or keep it because it means something special to me?
  • Do I have more than one of these objects? Do I really need extras?
  • Do I have a convenient way to store this object?
  • Do I have the time, energy, and knowledge to maintain this object?

Creepy lifelike plastic rabbit = clutter.
Pack It Up, Move It Out

When you've decided what you no longer want to keep, sort that stuff into containers for delivery (that's our next step). Here are some possible destinations for garage clutter:


Tools and Materials Related to Construction or Landscaping

Habitat for Humanity ReStores
School building and construction trade programs
4-H programs
Community or school gardens


Recreational Equipment, Games, Toys, Hobbies
Scouting programs

Day cares, schools, after-school programs
YMCAs/YWCAs, Boys & Girls Clubs, and other nonprofit community outreach programs

Appliances (Like that old beer fridge, maybe?)
Local utility collection programs
Recycling centers
Charities or nonprofits

For more ideas on resources, visit my resources page

How about you? What objects in your garage are going to stay, and what are going to go? Do you have stuff that reflects your aspirations rather than your reality? What charities or organizations will benefit from your donations? Leave your comments below and you'll be automatically registered to win a free Kindle! I look forward to hearing from you!





















1 comment: